Saturday 23 June 2012

The birthday 23/06/2012!!!

On Thursday I headed down to my ob appointment and all looked great.  Got to have a good look at all 3 babies and everything was swell.  I was now measuring the equivalent of 47 weeks pregnant.  It was also arranged for me to be admitted into hospital on the Sunday to rest and await the arrival of our babies.

Friday I woke up and it just felt like another normal day of being big and uncomfortable.  About 12.30ish I started getting strong regular braxton hicks.  I had a few visitors during the afternoon so stayed lying down while we chatted and caught up.  By about 4ish it was still carrying on in spite of resting, panadol and lots of glasses of water.  I called the doctors rooms and she suggested I come in to get checked out.  So I got Mr TAN home and off we went.  I bought some of the things with me I had packed to take down for my extended stay just in case.

When we arrived at the hospital we were taken through, and it was just lucky that our student midwife who is also a HOM mum was on her last day of placement.  Everything looked and felt fine, but they gave me my first dose of steroids and admitted me.  This was at about 7ish.  I got taken up to the labour and delivery ward and got made comfortable where I told them adamantly that they needed worry as we were not having any babies tonight.  I tried to send Mr TAN home which is about an hours drive from the hospital, but he decided to stay close by with a friend just in case.  Mr TAN tells me now that my obstetrician told him to stay close by.  So I got comfortable and tried to get some sleep.  At around 10 I still hadn't gotten any rest as the Braxton Hicks were now constant and not easing at all, so it was decided I would get some pethidine and try to relax my irritable uterus so I could get some sleep.  I finally drifted off but woke suddenly at around one needing to go to the toilet.  I felt damp already so put it down to the pethidine, and my very squashed bladder.  I started to feel a gush as I walked to the toilet which I thought may have been my waters breaking to get to the toilet and see a whole lot of blood.  It was at this point that I became really scared.  I hit the buzzer and suddenly the room was full.  They couldn't tell if my membranes had ruptured or not and hooked me up to monitor the babies.  The bubs were all doing great, and had strong heartbeats.  They called my obstetrician again and she was going to come in.  After another large gush of blood they called her again and she said it was time, I was going in for a cesarean to have my babies.  At this point I called Mr TAN and the student midwife to get them all back in.

By this time I was so scared and I didn't understand what was happening and wouldn't let the midwife leave.  I wasn't in any pain, just scared about not knowing what was happening.  I was also only 30 weeks and 4 days pregnant and totally not mentally prepared to be giving birth so soon.  The next bit is a bit of a blur as I am being prepped for surgery, I had the neonatoligist come in to talk to me about all the different possibilities, anaesthetists amongst a whole lot of people buzzing about.  Mr TAN arrived, and my student midwife in just the nick of time before we got wheeled in. 

When we got into the theatre it was a hive of activity as the 3 little cots were set up and everything being prepared.  I got Mr TAN to do a head count and there were 20 people in the theatre.  Then it all happened fairly quickly.

At 3.08am Addison Rose was born weighing 1460gm and 41.7cm long.
At 3.09am Spencer Graham was born weighing 1600gm and 42cm long.
At 3.11 Hudson Ray was born with a scowl on his face and weighing 1710gm and 41.4cm long.

It was discovered during surgery that Spencer's membranes had ruptured and his placenta had started to detach which was causing the bleeding.  But we will not know what happened first whether it was the braxton hicks that caused it, or if the braxton hicks were because of his placenta. 

So now just over 24 hours later and everyone is doing well.  Addison may be coming of CPAP today and is starting to be fed small amounts of food and is under lights.  Spencer is under lights and he swallowed a bit of blood and is also on CPAP.  Hudson still appears to be the grumpy one and keeps pulling his iv out, so now has one going into his cord.  He is on CPAP too and is the only one not under lights at this stage. 

As for me I am taking things slowly and apart from the shock and surprise of having 3 babies yesterday am feeling okay.  I managed a small cuddle with Addison yesterday which was just beautiful.  Anyway am about to head back down to the nursery.  So will just leave with some pics

My bump on Friday.  Didn't think this was going to be the last one

Addison Rose having her mummy cuddle

Spencer Graham





Hudson Ray

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing journey you've had so far and now the adventures begin :) Lots of Love and cuddles to the triplets and their big brother ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome! You did such a great job to get to 30 weeks! Congrats on having 3 healthy wee babies!

    ReplyDelete